USAFA History Timeline          1947 – 1959
 

This feature is not meant to be comprehensive nor all-inclusive, but merely a thumbnail view of some historical highlights, based on material culled from a variety of sources.

 

1947


   26 July 1947


 

President Truman signs the National Security Act of 1947, establishing the Air Force as a separate service.
   
 

1948


   30 November 1948


 

The New York Journal-American editorializes in favor of a "National Air Force Academy."
 
 

1949


   25 Jun 1949


The Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce sends a proposal to Secretary of the Air Force Stuart Symington for consideration of Colorado Springs as a location for the new Air Force Academy.
 
 

1954


   1 April 1954


President Eisenhower signs legislation authorizing the establishment and construction of the United States Air Force Academy.
 

   24 June 1954


 

Secretary of the Air Force Harold Talbot announces that Colorado Springs has been selected as the permenant site for the Air Force Academy
 
 

   14 August 1954


 

Lt General Hubert Harmon, first Superintendent of USAFA, signs General Order 1, Establishment of the United States Air Force Academy and Assumption of Command.
 
       

1955


   14 May 1955


The Air Force unveils the design for the Air Force Academy.
 
 

   June 1955


 

Construction begins on the Air Force Academy permanent site.
 
 
   
 

   11 July 1955


 

The Class of 1959 reports for duty and is sworn in during the Academy Dedication Ceremony.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Academy Dedication Ceremony

 

Welcome by Lt Gen Harmon, USAFA Superintendent; Invocation; Remarks and Dedication by Secretary of the Air Force Harold Talbot; Oath of Office to the Class of 1959 by Brig Gen Stillman, Commandant of Cadets; Remarks by Chief of Staff of the Air Force Gen Nathan Twining; Benediction; National Anthem.

 
 

1958


   30 August 1958


 

The Cadet Wing moves to the permanent Air Force Academy site.
 
 

   10 December 1958


 

The Planetarium opens for classes.
 
 
 
 

   13 December 1958


 

The Eagle and Eaglets Statue is dedicated and presented to the Cadet Wing by Air Training Command.
 
 

   19 December 1958


 

The Air Force announces the opening of bids for construction of the Cadet Chapel.
 
 

1959


   5 January 1959


 

The Cadet Library opens.
 
 

   May 1959


  The Italian Air Force presents the Pegasus Statue to the Cadet Wing
   
 

   30 May – 2 June 1959


 

Academy Buildings are dedicated and officially named during June Week 1959.

 
 
 
 

   3 June 1959


 

USAFA Class of 1959 graduates

 
 

   12 June 1959


  Air Force announces the opening of the second round of bidding for construction of the Cadet Chapel
   
 

   27 August 1959


 

Grace Lake Recreation area is renamed and dedicated Farish Memorial Recreation Area

 
 

   15 September 1959


 

General Jimmie Doolittle presents the Doolittle Raiders Reunion Goblets to the Air Force Academy.